Monday, March 14, 2011

Tsunami

Never a dull moment on a mission! We were coming home from a appointment the other night when one of my past members recognized us and pulled over he said " did you hear there was a huge earthquake in Japan and now there's a tsunami headed toward Hawaii." We hurried home to call Elder Eubank, my companion was pretty worried as you can imagine and we were a bit nervous because, well we're in the beach house ha ha. But after some investigation the earth quake didn't affect any of the Japanese sisters families, too much. Which was a relief for all of us. That evening we were told the Tsunami would hit about 3 am and we needed to move to higher ground. It was pretty interesting because we just moved up to the other sisters pads. Guess where everyone evacuated to? The mountain, the mountain which the temple is on, I found that very beautiful and there are so many scriptures that that can be related to. But as we were collecting all of our stuff and realizing that we could have a house full of water when we returned I was thinking what do I need what should I take with me? Everything I looked at didn't matter I didn't care if I lost my clothes or shoes or suitcases or anything really. All I wanted was my scriptures and my journals. It reminded me of the scripture in 3 Nephi 13 verses 19-20 and 33. It says to seek ye first the kingdom of god, everything else will be taken by natural things. Nothing here really matters, no material things will brings us lasting happiness. Our families and memories are what matter. This life is a time to be happy and prepare to meet god. We were prepared for that tsunami, we had emergency kits but we were also prepared as missionaries spiritually. As of right now I'm prepared for that day ,whenever it comes, to stand before god and say I followed thee father and I did my best. But I am so grateful for the time I still have to continue preparing in this life. I hope that others will see this disaster and think more about how they can be physically prepared for disasters. 72 hour kits are no joke and it is so important to be prepared for any situation. But we also need to be preparing spiritually. If you were to meet god today would you feel comfortable? If we are seeking the lord and are doing what we know is right, spending time with those that matter we have no reason to fear. Things like work wont matter in a crisis, possessions wont matter. It's the things that will last that will matter. It was a good reminder.
The night went by with sirens going off every other hour (I was out and didn't hear a thing though :)) We slept on the couches in another pad and were safe and sound. It was quite the experience, no water in our home no damage to our side of the island. Other docks however were affected but it was nothing compared to Japan. Elder Eubank did show us the devastation and it was awful to see. The people here though are amazing and are already asking how can we help these people these other relief society sisters. They have a lot of good ideas and it makes me so happy to see relief society working how it should.
Well there truly is never enough time to tell you everything but I love you all and hope that you will continue to prepare for the coming of the lord because the day is at hand. :)
Ill try just sending two pictures. The one holding the octopus is the one who helped with the huge spider. The other sister is my comp. for a couple more weeks. :)

No comments: